My name is Anton Zuiker.
For more than thirty years, I have fostered community at local, organizational, and international levels. I lead with communications planning, events programming, and strategic collaborations. I’m happiest when I find partners and we create ways to give others the tools to tell their stories.
My skills include a broad range of reporting, writing, public speaking, event planning, issues consulting and team building. I have excelled at new media and social networking strategies.
I value collaboration, community, conversation and narrative. I have traveled far and wide, learned to be observant of culture and place, and delighted in seeing ideas bloom.
Duke Clinical Research Institute
November 2020 - ongoing
Clinical Research Communications Project Manager
- A trusted partner in the dynamic, results-oriented Research Communications & Engagement department supporting DCRI’s clinical studies and national networks. I mentor junior colleagues, lead team meetings, and promote a culture of continuous quality improvement in all our communications activities.
- Communications leader for the coordination and data collection center of Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics–Underserved Populations (RADx-UP), a major initiative funded by the National Institutes of Health. I advise project leaders and faculty on developing the initiative’s narrative, manage the biweekly newsletter and guide messaging to the 80+ research and community engagement projects across the country, and shape high-level presentations to NIH and other policy makers.
- Previously, as a clinical research communications specialist, I supported the ABC Science Collaborative, an innovative, far-reaching research project about COVID-19 and best practices for the safe return to in-person instruction. I advises project leaders and faculty on message strategy, led development of materials to effectively convey those best practices, and provided experienced, insightful, rapid editing to facilitate multiple research studies.
Duke University Department of Medicine
June 2010 - ongoing
Director of Communications
- Manager of an innovative communications team for the largest department in a leading academic medical center and world-class university.
- Built an efficient, open style that drove traffic to our site and attracted recruits to our training programs. We promoted diversity and inclusion, elevated leadership communication, and recorded the rich legacy of internal medicine at Duke.
- My strategies for informing and championing the 4,000 faculty, trainees, staff, and alumni were replicated by other departments. The MedicineNews framework and Duke River of News aggregator are considered best practice.
- I created Voices of Duke Health, a workforce well-being project funded by the Duke Institute for Health Innovation. Our podcast was chosen by the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation as an inaugural Trust Practice Challenge winner, and given an honorable mention in the 2020 Awards of Achievement by the Association of American Medical Colleges (Group on Institutional Advancement).
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Aug 2002 - May 2004
Park M.A. Fellow
- Studied reporting of infectious diseases in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and School of Public Health.
- Creator of medicaljournalism.info, webmaster for The Fifth Estate online magazine, founder of tarheelbloggers.org and coordinator for Narratives of HIV series of events and the Weblogs in Journalism seminar.
- I was also a lab instructor for an e-publishing course.
Past Professional Experience
Duke University Health System
August 2007 - June 2010
Manager, Internal Communications
Carolina Population Center
Chapel Hill, NC
March 2005 - August 2007
Sr. Publications & Communications Research Associate on the MEASURE Evaluation project funded by USAID
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
June 2004 - March 2005
Northern Ohio Live Magazine, Cleveland, OH
Jan 2001 - Dec 2002
Columnist – Inventing the Future
Wrote monthly column about innovation in Northern Ohio; awarded first place for best medical/science reporting for 2002 by Society of Professional Journalists. Archives online at http://mistersugar.com.
EmployOn, Inc., Euclid, OH
Nov 2000 - July 2001
Web Content Editor
Wrote and edited marketing, sales and site copy for this online recruiting solutions company.
PlanetKnowHow.com, Streetsboro, OH
Jan - Aug 2000
Assistant Editorial Director
Managed editorial team for this how-to web site. Extensive Internet research and web usage.
U.S. Peace Corps, Republic of Vanuatu
Dec 1997 - Oct 1999
Volunteer; training coordinator
Served as school teacher and community development worker, and PC newsletter editor.
Northern Ohio LIVE Magazine, Cleveland, OH
Sept 1995 - Nov 1997
Editor, April ‘97-Nov ‘97; Managing Editor, March ‘96-April ‘97; Associate Editor, Sept ‘95-March ‘96
Rose to become editor of the monthly regional arts, events and culture magazine.
Small Business News, Lakewood, OH
Dec 1994 - Sept 1995
Production Assistant, April ‘95-Sept ‘95; Research Assistant and Reporter, part-time Dec ‘94-April ‘95
Hawaii Medical Service Association (BC/BS), Honolulu, HI
Sept 1992 - June 1994
Staff Writer, Island Scene Magazine, Jan ‘93-June ‘94; Corporate Staff Writer, Sept ‘92-June ‘94
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Aug 2002-May 2004
M.A. Mass Communication (Medical Journalism)
John Carroll University, Cleveland, OH
Aug 1988-May 1992
723 Smith Level Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516